Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Goodbye, Boy-boy

It is so much harder with Faithful Companion than it was with my dad. Awful to say, I know. But when your father dies, there's this whole thing. I'd like Faithful Companion's name to go in the paper, I'd like a thing at church for him, I'd like people I hardly know to stop me and tell me how sorry they are, I want a leave of absence from work.

I want the world to stop for a bit.

This is so tough.

This morning when I got up, I talked to him some, said goodbye, reminisced about the time we had together. Told him how much I'd miss him. When things were really crazy in my life, who was I going to go for a nice long walk with before I went to bed to talk it through and sort it all out? I confessed to him that when I say I love dogs, what I mean is that I love my dog; other people's dogs are just "okay" and not quite as perfect as my dog is.

Oh oh oh. My boy-boy with the big brown eyes.

I closed this morning by sending him off on his wanderings on the astral plane by giving him the Stern Commands I'd leave him with every morning when I left the house. I did it not because I expected his obedience, but just because he would get this serious look on his face, like an Army Air Corps pilot in some World War II movie getting orders for a bombing run over Germany. I'd say, "Okay, let's review. While I'm away, NO up on the furniture, NO pee-pee in the house, and NO barking."

And then, over my shoulder, as I was heading out the door, I'd call, "Love you! Best dog ever!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Drew. What a tough year for you.
-Cranberry Juice guy

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Life really sucks sometimes.

Anonymous said...

He (and Ned) are waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. If you aren't familiar with it, give it a Google. Much, much sympathy and understanding!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Drew, I'm so sorry to hear this. You're right, it is harder. Xris and I lost our beloved Spot in February, and I wept harder than I did when my mother died.

He and you are in my prayers.


Much love
John

Anonymous said...

Drew--I'm so sorry. You've been through so much to have to give this loving send-off to your dog, too. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Drew - Not much I can say, I know. It's tough. Hopin' you're still there with Alpha.. knowin' if you are, you're in good hands.

*hugs*

T.E.W. said...

Sorry to hear this about your dog, it is never easy to lose a beloved pet.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God. Drew. This is a bad, bad year for you so far. I have been there--my godfather, my mother, my beloved cat all died in 4 months of each other in 2006. I lost a job, had housing problems, and some decidedly non-mystical clergy called me to ask if I wanted an exorcism.
You are in my prayers. Hang in there--it does get better over time.
MaryO