Friday, May 07, 2004

Dear Old Dad is 79 Today

Fun day at work. I was kinda a star. Lots of "Hey Dutch! Heard you were great last night!" The president of the company commented that I'm good at public speaking. (Yeah, well I've testified in front of the New York City Council, and several years ago I was one of the keynote speakers at the New York State AIDS Conference; I guess I do alright with it.)

I have to confess I loved the attention. And my boys seem to be taking it as I'm doing right for our team, and that's great. Lest this all go to my head, the spray room sent back a shelf I sanded today. I had failed to get out a scratch, which came up clearly when the stain was applied. So, it had to be sanded down again. I took the shelf from the spray room guy and solemnly pronounced, "I have brought shame to the sanding table. I will reverse my garments until the stain of the shame I have caused is lifted." And I took off my shirt and put it on backwards. They all liked that. Maybe it will become a tradition.

And now it's the weekend. I'm writing the sanding manual for work, playing softball, baking a birthday cake for my father, making a shrimp boil for him on Sunday, and cleaning the house.

*whew!* Makes me tired just thinking about it.

And then it's back to work for a week (ten hour days on monday, wednesday, and friday, and school after work from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on tuesdays and thursdays). And then, I see my Sir.

Looking forward to that!

And now, I can barely keep my eyes open. And I need to be up at seven to get my sorry butt up to NYC to play softball. Think I'll call it a night early tonight.


No comments: