Friday, September 26, 2003

Date Mode

(I wrote this post last night, but it doesn't seem to have... uh... posted.)

I've noticed something. Usually, when I'm out in public, I'm cruising. When I see a man I like, I'll look at him like a restaurant purveyor surveys a side of beef in the Meat Market. ("Good marbling. Probably some juicey cuts there. Could do with some aging. But I'll take it.")

I really really like giving men that Damn-what-I'd-like-to-do-to-you stare. I lock eyes. I smile. The reactions I get vary. Some guys smile back. (Perfect!) Some guys look away nervously. Some guys look faintly hostile.

But lately that's changed.

Here's how it's been going lately: "Hot guy. Facial hair. Cigar smoker. Good build. Looks intelligent. Reading the New Yorker. Yankees cap... all good. Yikes! He's coming over here! Shoulders back! Chest out! Tighten deltoids! Smile warmly!"

Y'see, I'm not looking to get laid, I'm looking to go on a date. I want a Steady Eddie. I'm in Date Mode.

I think that overall, a Steady Eddie would be a better strategy than cock-of-the-walk here in Bucks County. Bucks County has a lot to offer, but Sunday Afternoon Bear Beer Blast at the Dugout is not among the things it has to offer. (But earlier tonight, when I came out here on the porch, I heard two hoot owls, sounding like they were fifteen feet away, calling to each other. Eerie and sublime.) Gay men in these parts tend to be sweet, clean cut, and as fashionista as the Oxford Valley Mall allows them to be. Not my flavor, in other words.

But there are Bears in these here woods. I know. I've talked to them on line. Also tonight, I made the discovery of a new group, PhillyPhisters, to which I'm gonna try and wrangle an invitation. And I here there are dungeon parties in Lambertville, although there's some kind of a screening process. (And I don't cope well with being screened.)

But still. I want a Steady Eddie.


To be sure, a Steady Daddie would be welcome, too.


No comments: