Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Eat The Flesh Of Our Dear Lord And Savior Jesus Christ And To Drink His Blood

That's what I did with my Wednesday night!

My father is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. And as such, he gets all the newsletters that go out. I, of course, was baptized and confirmed in that church. But since I've been back here, I haven't set foot in the place. In fact, I haven't been there since my sister's funeral.

Not like I haven't thought about it.

But y'see, on the website of Integrity/Philadelphia, they list "welcoming" parishes in the Diocese. "Welcoming" as in, "We welcome our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters in Christ to join us in worship." And St. Paul's Episcopal Church is not, in fact, welcoming. And, in fact, the Diocese of Philadelphia is pretty un-welcoming. I'd have to travel about an hour-and-a-half to be welcomed.

But there's this new priest there. He's touted as being great for the parish because he was a verrrry successful businessman and chemical engineer (chemical engineer?) before he became a priest.

Like... whatever.

Anyway, the new guy has re-arranged the mass schedule. And they're starting up with a service on Wednesday evening. At 6:30. Perfect for my schedule.

So after a leisurely iced-quad-venti-one-pump-vanila-light-ice-latté and a cigar on the porch at Starbucks, I headed over.

It was in the chapel. There were seven us, the good Father included.

it was just so good to hear and say those words that I've been hearing and saying my entire life. There was no Book of Common Prayer available, but I didn't need one. Well, a couple of times I could have used one.

I think I'll be making a habit of this. It's like heroin for me. Once I pick up, I can't stay away. Always been like that with me.

But at some point, after the pleased-to-meet-ya's, I'll ask Father Chemical Engineer (chemical engineer), just why is it that St. Paul's isn't a welcoming parish?

Stay tuned for the answer.


No comments: