Sunday, September 18, 2005

Huh

I went to a small, Catholic, liberal arts college run by a polish order of Bernardine Franciscan sisters. It was an absolutely great experience. Among the many people I called friends there was a woman named Jackie.

Jackie had a pretty interesting story. When she was right out of high school, she had joined a convent. The sisters at her convent took a vow of silence. As in, they didn't speak at all. About seven years into it, she decided this wasn't her calling. But here was the thing. How to convey this news? Once a week, on Sunday evenings, the sisters would gather for what they called Corona. They would all sit in a circle. The Mother Superior would chose someone at random, and the sister would be given an opportunity to speak. For as long as she liked. When she was finished, the sister to her left had an opportunity to speak. After a half an hour or so, Corona was over. Under this system, it took Jackie four years (!) to make her announcement. Then, to get together some money for her life after the convent, Jackie worked for three years nursing the older sisters in the convent.

And then she showed up at our wee college.

Lacking something in social skills.

Go figure, right?

I liked Jackie a lot. She had this otherworldly quality. Such a sweet nature. Thought deeply about everything.

She could probably stand a makeover. Wearing a habit for most of her life didn't leave her quite prepared for... well, anything.

Anyway, sitting around after dinner one night, a bunch of us, somebody asked Jackie about being a nun. How she could give up so much. Especially, one of the girls jumped in, guys. Having boyfriends, husbands.

"Ah," Jackie answered, "That's why I became a nun. I realized that no earthly man could satisfy me. Jesus was my lover."

No earthly man could satisfy me.

Wacky, huh?

Well lemme tell ya.

Last night, there I was at the Bike Stop. Bored bored bored. It wasn't a bad night really. Got started kind of late. A few hot guys. A few twink tourists. The usual. Bored bored bored.

What was up?

Simple. I've just been to Inferno. I've just been in the company of amazing men. Like spending time in some Valhalla. I've just allowed my beating heart to be ripped from me. I've just held in my hands the hearts of men I met there.

So that hot boy in the corner, the one with the shaved head and the beard. Kinda giving me the eye. Nice body on him. Haven't seen him before, probably from out of town.

So what? I'd chat him up, we'd make out, go back to his hotel room, and have sex or something.

And that would do what for me exactly? The point of that would be what?

*sigh*

No earthly man can satisfy me.


No comments: