Thursday, November 03, 2005

At The Gym

Change, huh? I wanted change.

So I went to the gym tonight. First time in a week. Didn't get an opportunity with the Baron visiting, and I ushered in my 42nd year on earth with spasms in my lower back. But I seem to be on this great trend. I'm finally gaining weight again, and I'm lifting more weight than I ever have in my life. And feeling good!

So anyway, I was heading into the locker room and this guy I see there all the time was heading out. I heard him mention TIG. ("TIG" refers to "Tungstun Inert Gas welding.") I know. I learned how to do it two years ago.

"Are you a welder?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, "I'm an iron worker. Been an iron worker my whole life."

And he said that with that note of pride in his voice. Distinction. I am an iron worker. That's my place in the world. That's the way I stand up and take my place in the world.

And then, for once in my life, I said something resembling the right thing at the right time. Instead of thinking of it the next morning in the shower.

"Wow! That's my dream job."

And so we talked. Yeah, he is hiring, well... always looking for good people.

I think that if I want this, I could get it.

Dang. I could be a welder. An iron worker.

But here's the downside. it would mean saying goodbye to Wuperior Soodcraft. A place that's become so much more than a job to me over the past two years. And, I was told not so long ago that I've sort of transformed the entire place.

Like... Gosh! Right?

So who is this ironworker guy? Well, he's probably in his fifties. Always ready with a hello and a smile. Got lots of ink. More along the lines of waking up after a drunken binge and finding out why you have that burning sensation on your arm. (He's in recovery. He mentioned it, asking if he knew me from a meeting.) And he has a bumper sticker on his truck that says, "Nobody ever drowned in sweat," and wears a tshirt that says "Pain is weakness leaving the body."

So, y'know... I like him.

Decisions decisions decisions.

I'm gonna drop a sample of my stick welding skills into my gym bag.


No comments: