Thursday, November 23, 2006

Que Sara, Sara

While I'm preparing Thanksgiving Dinner for my father, Turner Classic Movies is having a Doris Day film festival. And I'm loving it. Enjoyed 'A Touch Of Mink,' and now I'm watching 'Lover Come Back.' I remember Vito Russo discussing thing in his brilliant book, The Celluloid Closet; all the homo subtexts. Some guy is always in love with Doris' romantic leading man. Tony Randall takes Rock Hudson up to his cabin in the woods, much discussion of Tony's analyst... Cary Grant's financial advisor, who also comes with an analyst...

And then there's the wonderful prospect of virginal Doris doing her best to keep her legs crossed. All the misunderstandings. The great early 'Sixties designs. It's quite the feast. Just like my turkey, stuffing, gravy, baked pineapple, creamed spinach, spaghetti squash...

And Rock Hudson is such a looker. Rock rocks. I bet he looked great in a sling. (Did they have slings in the 'Sixties? Or was that a later invention?) And from what I understand, he liked things rough.

When he died and there was much fuss about him being gay, I remember my stepmother saying, "I can't believe they're making such a big deal about that. I knew he was gay. He was into leather."

I know! My stepmother! At the time, I didn't know what that meant. I can't figure out how she did either.

She had read in some fan magazine about how after being stuck in Monte Carlo making a movie, he told "a source" that he was excited to get back to Los Angeles and go to some notorious gay leatherbar.

*sigh*

But maybe there's a Rock out there somewhere for me still.

Whatever will be, will be.


1 comment:

alterboy said...

creamed spinach! my fav comfort food in the universe! sigh....