Thursday, July 18, 2002

Bloodsports

Got cool email from a reader and fellow PLWP (Person Living With Piercing).

Quite a night I had last night. I got home, feeling pretty crabby because the Special Guy postponed our get together until tonight, and set about doing the salt water soak. I ended up getting my bedsheets wet in the process, but then noticed that my right one had apparently been bleeding all day long. Out of both ends. The salt water in the cup was a sort of maroon-gray color. (I won't be painting my kitchen that any time soon.) Thus began soaking, swabbing with bactine, and washing with Dial anti-bacterial soap until every thing was cleaned up.

I think that whole thing is pretty cool. It has some cultish aspects. Akin to the way that two iPod owners talk and compare notes when they f'find' each other, but with the big difference being that people over-hearing the iPod discussion are perhaps vaguely envious, but people overhearing two pierced people discussing the basis for their pronpinquity would be horrified. And, perhaps, somewhat tittilated. But, the arcane aspects are definitely a draw.

So I'm wondering if I should have a spare shirt at work. What if Righty starts to bleed again, and a staff meeting is interrupted by a co-worker saying, "Uh, Drew... you seem to be bleeding from your chest..." It's sort of weird that after four days, Righty started to bleed, too. Yesterday I was wearing a heavy cotton Carrhart shirt, and I had my pack of Camels in my left pocket. The pressure on Lefty provided a vaguely pleasant sensation throughout the day, but I worried about irritating it. All the while Righty was gushing away.

Great editorial in the New York Sun today that basically draws the same conclusions that I did on insider trading (thus vindicating Martha). They point out that no one is really harmed. If there is a sell-off based on insider information, the value of the stock will go down, reflecting more closely it's real value. Prohibitions on insider trading sort of ensure that the stock price is artificially inflated. A nice point.

There's also a loopy editorial by the City Council Member who represents the district that includes the site of the World Trade Center. If Councilmember Gerson has his way, the site will essentially be a vast memorial bounded by a housing project. Luckily, I've heard the six proposals called 'bland' several times now. Whatever happens, I hope it's interesting.

No comments: