Wednesday, June 19, 2002

Cruising the Occasional Straight Guy

Is this evil? I like cruising men on the street. Sometimes, these men are (presumably) straight. Not leering, mind you, just clocking them and making eye contact, smile. Sometimes they're oblivious. It doesn't occur to them that the big bald built guy with the moustache is a homo and so they remain blissfully unaware of the fact that I'm trying to imagine what they'd look like wearing handcuffs and a ball gag. But then there are guys who get it. Who look at me lookin' at them and know just what's up. In general, the response is to look away. I don't think I've ever (ever!) encountered hostility. Three times in my life (that I'm aware of) I've been cruised by women. Twice on the subway, and once in Starbucks. (I swear.) All three times I did my best to convey with non-verbal signals that I was flattered and appreciated their attention, but it wasn't going to go anywhere. (I did this on two of the three occasions by smiling warmly and pointing to the wedding band I wore when I was with my ex.) Flattered, is, I think, the preferred and adult response.

I wonder though. What's it like for a straight guy to be cruised by another guy?

Oh, just to clarify. I don't have a 'thing' for straight guys the way some in my tribe do. What draws me to any man is an extraordinary look. Something that indicates a willingness to depart from the norm, but not in a stupid way. (E.g., a guy wearing Armani who has a mohawk gets my attention; an anarchist-punk rock guy with a mohawk probably won't, especially if he seems to have been born long after Sid Vicious started pushing up daisies.)

No comments: