Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Spread Your Wings, Fletcher Gull!

So today at work, Buddhist Boy comes up to me and says, "Dutch, did you ever read Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

Hit me like a ton of bricks.

Wow.

"When I was in the fourth grade, I had a Jonathan Livingston Seagull lunch box," I answered.

And I did.

I sure did read Jonathan Livingston Seagull. And it rocked my 9-year-old world.

To be sure, when I was in college, Mr. English Major/Philosophy Minor, I got all sneery about the book. (I remember in one pan it was referred to as "a cotton candy Christ for the Me Generation.") But perhaps age and experience have mellowed me.

So after work, I went to the book store in Doylestown. They didn't have JLS on the shelves, but they ordered it for me. It should be here in a couple of days.

I'm looking forward to catching up with Jonathan. Like running into an old friend.


No comments: