Friday, August 10, 2007

A Coupla Things

My brother and sister-in-law are up for a brief visit from Florida. They're staying with friends of theirs down in New Hope. I'll see them at some point, although it's not clear when. We've talked about me picking them up and taking them to church on Sunday, and I'm hoping that comes to pass as I'd enjoy it.

My sister-in-law is a vegan. No meat, no dairy, no fish, no eggs.

I am completely intolerant of all food dogmatists of whatever stripe, but I totally give my sister-in-law a pass. In part, this is because I love her. But mostly, it's all about the objectivity she has. She became a vegan when she discovered she had cancer. (Her cancer is now clear, but it can always come back.) She can't ultimately control her cancer, but it gives her some measure of sanity to control the food she puts in her body. Ultimately, she realizes that the cancer has little to do with her diet, but it just makes her feel better. I think that there's something poetic and ineffable about that.

And so, my mission today is to make a vegan key lime pie. It looks like it will be pretty easy from the recipes I found on the internet: lime juice, sugar, a graham cracker crust, and Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese stuff. The key lime pie and iced tea will make for a nice summer repast.

(No phone call yet from the local manufacturer of cranes, hoists, and monorails.)

On Sunday, I'm firing up my Weber grill and fixing steaks and my grilled vegetable salad for JPZapper, dogtopper, Datt and Male, and Heavily Tattooed Guy. But I'm making them earn it: first we'll convene in the garage and put together my fabulous cage. Maybe someday I'll actually have the inclination to stick somebody in it outside of my masturbatory fantasies. With the six of us working on it, it should take about ten minutes or so.

I'm more excited about the fact that this will mark the first time in years that I've hosted a party, and I love hosting a party. And, such great guys on the guest list. I'm looking forward to it.

(No phone call yet from the local manufacturer of cranes, hoists, and monorails.)

Here's an interesting want ad from the Doylestown Intelligencer: PAINTERS, must have transportation, tools & be reliable. Losers need not apply. Bux-Mont areas. 215-348-... I'm betting there's a story there I'd like to hear.

(No phone call yet from the local manufacturer of cranes, hoists, and monorails.)

Softball tomorrow!

The playoffs start. The Ball Breakers are hopeful about our chances of bringing home a trophy. Alfonso Soriano of the Chicago Cubs has been having the same problems with a torn quad that I am. I even caught footage of Soriano hopping on one foot down the baseline just like me. I've been doing some wind-sprints to get my hamstring muscles back in shape. Hopefullly I'll be able to play tomorrow and walk afterwards.

(No phone call yet from the local manufacturer of cranes, hoists, and monorails.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

werewolves may be the next big thing in fiction, Sir! Check it out:
http://www.newstatesman.com/200708020047