Saturday, June 07, 2003

Undefeated

Softball was good today. Our first game was scheduled at 1 pm, so we didn't have to meet up until 11:30. A luxury. It was raining when we met. I checked the website before I left the house, and there was no indication that the game was called off. We drove out to Randall's Island, and the other team, the Noreasters, was nowhere in evidence. They didn't show up, ergo, they forfeited, ergo, the Ballbreakers remain undefeated. Because if we had left before the second game started and they showed up than it would have meant that we forfeited, we waited until the time the second game would start. What to do in the interim? How about batting practice in the rain.

So, even though there wasn't a game per se, it was good. Actually, it was transcendent. I had a moment, standing out there in Centerfield, (having missed two flyballs that basically came right too me), when I just had this feeling of bliss. "It doesn't get any better than this," I thought. A game I love, guys I love, practicing, laughing, cheering each other on... softball is sublime.


No comments: