Monday, October 03, 2005

Kolchak Is Risen

When I was eleven years old, my absolute favorite show on television was Kolchak: The Night Stalker. The premise was simple. Each week, a wise-cracking reporter named Carl Kolchak would stumble upon some homicidal supernatural phenomenon. Vampire, werewolf, Hindu demon, alien, vengeful suit of armor, Cajun swamp monster, witch, demonic Senate candidate... His editor, the police, the powers that be, whoever, were unable to believe him, so Carl alone confronted and defeated the terror.

*sigh*

And what I remember most vividly was that Kolchak was shown on trash night. So after having the bejeezus scared out of me, my father would inevitably make the announcement: "Drew, it's time for you to take out the trash."

That meant that I had to lug a huge heavy trashcan out to the end of our driveway in the dark. Did I mention it was dark?

I've probably never run so fast as I would on the trip back, certain that a headless, sword wielding guy on a motorcycle was right behind me.

Last week, I caught the season premier or the new Night Stalker. It holds promise, but in that au courrant kind of way, they left things all ambiguous like instead of wrapping it all up in an hour. And, of course, it was gorier than the original, where the gore was largely implied.

All in all, not must see tv, but if I think of it, I'll catch it.

And luckily, it's not on Tuesday night. That's trash night.


1 comment:

sdRay said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love electric car then you will want to be there! All kinds of electric car will be in attendance. For more information go to electric car
See Ya There!!