Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Me And Dad

I've been getting sort of peevish with my father lately. Nothing big. Just keep thinking it would be nice to hear 'thank you' once in a while.

But tonight...

While we were eating dinner (my amazing meatloaf and scalloped potatoes), we had the tv on. This commercial came on. Maybe you've seen it. It involves Gladys Knight playing rugby. I'm a total sucker for athletic accomplishment, no matter how contrived and manipulative, and when Gladys takes the ball across the goal line... Well, let's just say that I teared up.

Okay. That's goofy. I know.

But anyway, out of the corner of my eye, I notice my father noticing me getting teary eyed.

And then... my father got teary eyed. He had to wipe his eyes with his napkin.

And so, I got even more teary eyed because my father got teary eyed.

Being the kind of men that we are (I am so much my father's son), I got up and put my plate in the dishwasher and my father added pepper to his dinner. And, y'know, neither of us acknowledged anything.

But I will always always cherish that moment.

The old guy loves me. He does.


No comments: