Monday, February 28, 2005

No 'Reaster

Uh oh.

So last night, when I arrived back from my adventure in West Viginia, my father was in a state. There is a Noreaster moving up the cost. Twelve to fifteen inches of snow. Blizzard conditions.

"There is no way you're going to work tomorrow. Because even if you manage to get there, you won't get home."

"But Dad..."

"No buts. Look at what they're saying on the news."

And, of course, the news was a noreaster is moving up the coast, and we're going to get twelve to fifteen inches of snow, and it's going to be the worst storm we've seen.

So I relented. I called work and lift a message saying that because of the bad weather (and my father), I wouldn't be in to work today. This was around midnight.

I went to bed, didn't set the alarm clock. When I woke up at 9 am, the first thing I did was look out the window. Expecting to see the front yard looking like a snow globe, I got a sinking feeling when there was not even a flurry.

Uh oh.

While I was drinking my tea, I perused the news and Weather Underground on the web. The storm looks like it's swinging south of us here in Beautiful Bucks County, and what storm there is was just light snow.

If we're not blanketed by noon, I'm going to feel awful.

My father, annoyingly, thinks this is no big deal. "So you take a day off work. That's a problem?"

"Dad... remember when you were working? If you were to call up you boss and say, 'Y'know, I'm not coming to work today, I'd like a day off, so I'm just going to stay home,' how do you think they'd take that news?"

That got me exactly nowhere.

My father is basically glad I'm home today. That's all. I can burn the trash, bring in wood...

Ah well. I need to make some phone calls to my insurance company anyway, right?

I mean, from the perspective of Wuperior Soodcraft, it's not the end of the world if I'm not at work. But I want to be 'The Guy They Can Rely On.' And i'm feeling like I didn't live up to that.

I'll be glad when winter is over.


No comments: