Saturday, May 13, 2006

But Maybe The Stable Boy's Smokin' Hot?

So what all do you think about this?

Jean Genet--who has a special place in my heart dating from when, as a teenager, I fell asleep in a bathtub reading 'Our Lady Of The Flowers' and woke up having a wet dream about a merman servicing me--wrote at some point about Domination. He felt it only worked when the Dominant was of a rank lower than the Submissive. And that provided the erotic charge.

That, Genet believed, was why homosexuals hold sailors, tradesmen, criminals, and the like in such high regard. And why there really is no male equivalent of the term 'Dominatrix,' because she was a woman, and for most of human history in the West, women have been socially subordinate, so a "Dominant Male" would be redundant. And, these themes play into Maurice and Lady Chatterly's Lover and any number of other literary works that the intellectual classes of Europe have turned to for wanking.

With all due respect, I think M. Genet is off the mark.

I think what's really going on here is objectification.

Early on in my erotic career, my masturbatory fantasies far surpassed my actual experiences. And what I was looking for was the fulfilment--not the realization--of my JO dreams. (Parenthetically, I used to be stumped when I'd read about the 'DreamWorld' in discussions of the Shaman. I usually don't remember my dreams. But then I hit upon the idea that those images running through my head when I beat off are a kind of dreaming, and I was off to thhe races. Think about that. Neat, huh?) And so I wanted the men I was having sex and doing scenes with to be like the men I was beating off thinking about. To the extent that I paid attention to the "man behind the curtain," I wanted no part of it. I didn't want to know their names even.

But as my actual experiences caught up to and, I would say, came to surpass my jerk off fantasies... it became a whole new ballgame. I wanted to know all about those men I was having sex with and doing scenes with. Those foibles and contradictions--that "human, all too human" quality made it all the hotter. A guy once told me about how a second grade bully broke his glasses, and it was all I could do to stop myself from taking him in my arms, holding him tight, and telling him that I was never going to let that happen to him again.

So getting back to M. Genet--and did you know the David Bowie song, 'Jean Jeanie,' was written about the frenchman?--I think that's why all those titled Englishmen were hankering after their stable boys. Because they didn't know anything about them. They could only imagine what their lives were like. The stable boy was a blank white screen upon which M'Lord could project all his fantasies. It just so happened that the great chasm that separated the two was one of class.

Here in the New World, I think we see the equivalent of this in men who eroticize across the great racial divide. (I don't agree with my friend the Baron who thinks that the big political issue in the U.S. is class, I think it's race. Deep, deep racist animosities are at the root of all that ails our great nation.) It's not just the dark skin, it's the mystery. The exotic quality.

"Only connect," said E.M. Forrester, who authored Maurice, the Ur hot stable boy text. Only connect.

If your fantasies prevent you from connecting, then I would suggest you've got some work to do.


No comments: