Friday, August 18, 2006

Commencement

The last day at Wuperior Soodcraft. Full of handshakes, hugs, warm wishes, and expressions of how good it was to work with me. And, from me, thanks and gratitude.

I am a much better man as I leave Wuperior Soodcraft than I was the day I walked in.

After the 3:30 buzzer sounded, Nightingale wanted to take me out. Since I got to choose the place, we headed to Starbucks. And so for my last long afternoon at Starbucks, I spent it smoking cigars on the porch of Starbucks with Nightingale, my mentor when I came into the place.

Pretty sweet.

Tonight, at home, I got a phone call from the board chair. They have a schedule for my first week at the new job. Pretty much meetings meetings meetings, and going out on the streets with the staff.

And here's some really good news: since Monday is a slow day, they suggested that I'd only be in the way (I know, sort of an inauspicious beginning, right?), I got the day off. So Monday will be a beach day! A beach day! Yesss! Just what I was hoping for. A little down time.

Besides the weekend, I mean. Although the weekend isn't quite going to be down time. I'm heading up to a gay campground in upstate Pennsylvania (no, not that one, the other one) to spend some time with the guy from the hot tub in his cabin.

I... I... I... I have no idea. Not a clue. I've heard no declarations of his feelings about me in either direction, and so I've spent a heck of a lot of psychic energy making up for that with some pretty extensive tea leaf reading. If I believed in psychics or tarot card readers, I'd be knocking down their doors.

But, of course, I am Fido. I'll chill. I'll bide my time. I'll enjoy the opportunities as they come. And you never know where things might end up.

A secret: last night when I was walking Faithful Companion, I looked up and saw a shooting star. "Quick," I thought, "Make a wish," and right away I made my wish: the man.

But we'll see.

Today is the day of an end and a beginning. None of us knows what the future holds, or where we'll be in a year. (Trust me on that one.) And we never do.


No comments: