Wednesday, August 21, 2002

Dang it all. The link I posted for the still of the punishment scene from Starship Troopers takes you into Yahoo Hell. Sorry bout that. I tried copying and pasting the pic, but that apparently is a no-go with Blogger. I watched the Punishment Scene (Casper von Dien strung up and given ten lashes with a snake whip) several times in slow motion last night and this morning. Technically it's brilliant. Only once is it obvious (at 1/7 time) that in one frame there's not a slash and in the next frame there's a slash). Also, the cuts left by a whip are much shorter. (Oh, I just know that. That's all.) And I know so many people who would love to own that suspension frame.

Funny thing. I have never been able to stay awake through (Starship Troopers Director) Paul Verhoeven's film The Fourth Man. Overt depictions of homoeroticism are less interesting than sublimated homoeroticism. Or maybe it's just that Starship Troopers has explosions and chase scenes and The Fourth Man has furtive glances in the well house. Or whatever.

And I also watched A League of Their Own. Loved it. I was sobbing at the end. Anything baseball always leaves me sobbing at the end. But what's up with Geena Davis? It's like she doesn't speak English and is reading her lines phonetically from a teleprompter. She just sort of stands there looking statuesque. Regardless. That was the first of many viewings. "Coffee!"

No comments: