Monday, September 23, 2002

There's a phenom sweeping through blogdom: One Hundred Things About Me. Although I usually don't like to be so obvious in my narcisism, here goes...

1. Whenever I'm on a bridge crossing the Delaware River, I get teary eyed. I grew up on that river, and... well...
2. I've never been to San Francisco, and it's getting to be a 'thing.' I'll probably see how long I can go without going to San Francisco.
3. I'm good for nought in the morning until I have a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea with evaporated milk.
4. I know the details of how to inject yourself with heroin in such a way as to avoid abcesses and cause minimal damage to your veins and avoid an overdose, although I have never used heroin.
5. I'm an Episcopalian. For most of my life, I've wanted to be a priest. I came close, but blew it a year ago when the crime of ending my seven year relationship with my rage-a-holic Ex soured my rep with the priest who was sponsoring me.
6. If I had money enough and time, I'd forever be learning languages. I do alright with french, and I'd like to learn russian, italian, vietnamese, and latin.
7. When my mind is able to wander (in the shower, driving, on the subway) I usually invent speeches. Such as acceptance speeches (International Mr. Leather, MacArthur Genius Grant, greetings deliverd to President Vaclav Havel upon arriving in Prague to take up my post as U.S. Ambassador to the Czech Republic). I love public speaking.
8. I rarely watch tv, although I pay through the nose for HBO. I am a slavish devotee of public radio, however.
9. My first musical infatuation was with Billy Joel when I was in the 8th grade.
10. I have a tatoo depicting the head of a wolf over a banner that reads 'Stand Alone.' In the artist's book, it said, 'Lone Wolf,' and I thought that was a little cliche. The most recent book I had read when I got the tatoo about ten years ago was Freedom and Dignity by Erich Fromm, and a phrase in the book I found particularly resonant was 'Stand Alone and Live.'
11. I have a gap between my front teeth.
12. I smoke unfiltered Camels.
13. Although I'm fairly regular in my gym-going, I never do abs or aerobics. Only rarely do I do legs. My legs and my butt are pretty well developed without working them, I'll take a beer gut over washboard abs any day, and the minute there's any problem with my blood pressure or heartrate or whatever I'll start sitting on that damn Life Cycle.
14. When anyone asks me what my favorite movie is, I say, "The Third Man." I like the movie a lot, but the 'true' answer is likely to be the last movie I happened to see. A little intellectual snobism went into me settling into The Third Man as the answer to that question.
15. As a recent college graduate, I applied for the MFA-Creative Writing program at Temple University. I sent them a portfolio of my poetry. I was rejected. I've rarely written poetry since, and I now have a morbid fear of evaluation.
16. In the late 1980s early 1990s, I was very active with ACT UP. I have been arrested at demonstrations at City Hall in Philadelphia, the Varick Street offices of the Immigration and Naturalisation Services, City Hall in New York, Gracie Mansion, Hoffman LaRoche Pharmaceuticals in New Jersey, and probably one or two other places I'm forgetting. My name appeared in the New York Times when I stood up during a speech (then) Vice President Dan Quayle was giving at a New York Conservative Party fundraiser and shouted "What about AIDS, Dan? You can't dodge AIDS!"
17. No matter how many choices of ice cream I'm presented with, I usually ask for coffee ice cream.
18. The foods I don't like are eggplant, okra, and coconut.
19. While I was living in Philadelphia, I recognized the photo of a recently arrested serial killer of gay men that appeared in the paper as a trade-y guy I had picked up cruising in Judy Garland Park and brought home. Our night together was pleasant, and (comparatively) uneventful.
20. When I had the phone conversation in which I told my father that I was gay, we ended up debating whether or not Leonard Bernstein was also gay. My Dad and I are both really good at avoiding uncomfortable issues by discussing current events.
21. I was graduated from college with a 2.78 GPA. Every semester, there would be one course that I would get a D in. There's an F on my transcript for Italian II. I remember doing well in the class and enjoying it. I got A's in Irish Literature, Modern American Fiction, Metaphysics, Ethics, the Mystery of God, Modern American Poety, and a few other classes.
22. If you want me to be putty in your hands, just gently stroke the nape of my neck or my back.
23. I'm basically incapable of holding a grudge. Before too long, I want to call up whoever done me wrong and re-connect.
24. My mother died when I was three-and-a-half. I have almost no memory of her. My father re-married. My second mother died on the eve of my 12th birthday. My father re-married a second time. That was twenty five years ago.
25. I (secretly) look down on people who smoke pot into adulthood.
26. If I could start over again career-wise, I'd like to be either an architect, a cop, or a theoretical scientist such as an evolutionary biologist.
27. When Mark Messier played for the New York Rangers, there were three times when people on the street asked if I were he. This totally thrilled me.
28. Life has not presented me with any experiences that would contradict the Existentialist ideas I subscribed to in college.
29. My Myers-Briggs is INTP. Or at least it was when I was tested 17 years ago.
30. I own six single tail whips, four floggers, and one braided cat. All four floggers and the cat have been used on a back, but only two of the whips have.
31. I have to sit and think which is 'left' and which is 'right,' and usually need a mnemonic device of some kind to figure it out. Frequently, I'll make a mistake with this, telling someone to turn left when I mean right.
32. I love to dance, and I nurse the idea that I'm a really good dancer. And I live in terror that someone will disabuse me of this idea.
33. My belly button is an innie.
34. My dick is the standard six inches. It might be bigger than that, but I like to tell guys I'm six inches so they can say, "No way are you six inches. You're bigger than that!" My balls are the size of apricots.
35. From time to time, I fantasize about being pimped out.
36. I'm afraid of snakes, but not much else.
37. I liked The Bionic Woman more than I liked the Six Million Dollar Man.
38. I tend to collect stones and shells.
39. I've been swimming at the Jersey Shore in November and April. The water was really cold.
40. Look up 'Passive-Aggressive' in DSM IV and there's my picture. Although I'm a lot better with that than I have been.
41. I don't wear sweaters.
42. My New Year's resolution this year will probably be something like 'get really good at rope bondage.'
43. I was with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap. Never in my life have I used cologne, anti-perspirant, or deoderant.
44. I don't like brie.
45. Kate Jackson was my favorite Angel.
46. I didn't discover masturbation until after I had had sex for the first time. (Uh... first three times.) I was reading an article in Philadelphia Magazine about teens at the beach in Wildwood, New Jersey. They had a picture accompanying the article of several jocky looking guys standing around a beer keg smoking cigarets. Without even touching myself I shot so hard I hit the ceiling. I was fifteen at the time. I quickly made up for lost time.
47. In being the Executive Director of a community based non-profit organization with a staff of twenty-four that realized $1.8m in revenue in the last fiscal year, I channel Kermit the Frog as he appeared on the Muppet Show.
48. There's not a lot I wouldn't do to have seventeen inch arms and a forty-eight inch chest. Unfortunately, one of the things I wouldn't do is see my nuts shrink down to the size of raisins.
49. I was totally devoted to Scooby-Doo. Hell, I still am. But not after they fucked it up with Scrappy-Doo.
50. I resent the fact that I never played ball with my father.

Okay. That's enough for now. This is pretty exhausting. I would go back and add clever links to some of those, but uh... I'm not gonna. Maybe later or tomorrow I'll see how I do with 51-100.

No comments: