Thursday, July 29, 2004

With Or Without Grease?

The other day at work, the senior cabinet maker who is training me in the ways of Hardware, he with the amazing beer gut (he's built like thhe teddy bear my Sir gave me to keep me company when we're apart), called me and Columbine boy over. He indicated a squeeze bottle of wood glue in his hand and said, "Do you guys want me to squirt some of this up your ass before I put my penis up there?"

I almost passed out.

Luckily, before I could say, "Spit works fine!" I got his drift. What he was saying in an oh-so-colorful way was that we're screwed. We have a reeeeally busy week this week. Get in early, work late. Lots of big jobs shipping with one day turnaround time.

I am totally feeling the effects of sleep deprivation. I haven't had more than five continuous hours of sleep since I returned from SF. Yesterday, there was a Severe Thunderstorm (again.) just as I pulled up out front of the supermarket to buy dinner. I turned on the radio, and Terry Gross was interviewing some political commentator on NPR. I decided to wait out the storm. I put my seat back, and I think I heard three sentences out of Mr. Political Commentator before I passed out. I woke up an hour later. The news was on. The rain had stopped.

And... AND... our softball game this weekend, probably the final one of the season, starts at 9 am. That means we need to be on the field at 8:15 am. And that means we need to meet up in front of the dugout at 7:30 am. And that means I need to leave here by 6 am. And that means I need to get up at 5 am.

*sigh*

I'd love love love to just come home tonight and sleep, but I've Got Democrat Convention Fever!!! I want to hear John Kerry's acceptance speech, and that doesn't start until 10 pm.

Oh well. As I told my Sir, his boy is tough. Tough as nails. He can take it.

And, y'know, it's not like I'm not having a blast.

In fact, today after work, I'm meeting Lolita and her slave Neptune at Starbucks in New Hope for coffee. They're doing a road trip to New Hope. No doubt to visit Tim and stock up on some throw pillows at All About Throw Pillows.

Totally looking forward to that.

There's the ticket. The essential strategy for getting through most any ordeal: just focus your mind on what you'll be doing when it's over. So there we'll be, me, Lolita, Neptune, sitting on the porch at Starbucks enjoying our lattes. Cool.

Okay.

Here I go.

Plunge in.


No comments: