Saturday, April 29, 2006

Crazy, Right?

Softball today.

It is sooooo good to be back in D Division. All about having a good time. Cheering on your team, and wishing the other team well, too. Because we're all struggling up the mountain called softball together.

And, of course, today was my pitching debut.

Yeah. Well.

It's a good thing there were no major league baseball scouts there.

They walked and they walked and they walked.

Pitching is hard! I mean, really hard!

It's weird though. I can do it. Perfect arc, and it just drops right into the glove of the catcher. And the thing is, I know before the ball even leaves my hand that that's gonna happen. But other times... Well, it's short, it's long it's outside, it's inside. Ball One. Ball Two. Ball Three. Take your base, batter.

Nowhere to go but up, I guess.

Hopefully, with some practice, I'll see some improvement.

We played in Bloomfield, New Jersey. Home of Jersey Guy, who's in Palm Springs this weekend. As I learned from my visits to Jersey Guy, Watsessing Park is an easy shot from home. Out I-78 to the Parkway, north on the Parkway to Exit 148, and the exit spits you out right there at the park. So, I decided not to use the gas to head into NYC with my fellow Ball Breakers after the game.

Instead, I went to hang out at Starbucks in Doylestown to see if Cigar Boy might show up.

And he didn't.

Where is he?

I know I know I know I know what you're thinking.

What is this all about? Am I nuts? I don't even know his name, for pete's sake.

Has the Good Ship Reality gone chugging out of my port?

Relax.

I did a check-in on all this with the Baron. And realized something interesting. Iven though I'm having this whole deal going on with Cigar Boy, at the same time, I have this sense of watching myself--safely--from a distance. So it's like I'm both heading down the rapids in my canoe and watching safely from the shore.

And I've gotta tell you, this feels great.

As careful readers know, I was getting seriously worried. I used to fall in love all the time. Get all crushed out on a guy. But then it stopped. Because Special Guy gave me so much, and raised the bar so high. Because when I was able to give my heart to Mr. Big Shot Hollywood Producer, it turned out that he's pretty careless with hearts. So maybe it was spent. Worn out. Gone.

Maybe what I was looking at from here on in was just going through the motions. Hoping that next time will be different.

But no.

Here I am. Pouring all my energies into this smokin hot boy. Imagining him and me, me and him. Trying to read him, from the little I know. Figure him out. Wondering what might go down.

And I realize it might come to nothing.

The Baron verrrry helpfully brought to my attention the many reasons why I didn't have a hope of this going anywhere. And overall, made some good points.

But something might come of it.

Well, that's not correct. Something already has.

I'm having fun.


No comments: