Monday, April 17, 2006

Hail Thee Festival Day!

When it comes to Holy Week, the Episcopal Church is just second to none. Positively wagnerian. Thursday through Saturday, every night is an increasing blow out. Liturgically speaking, that is. And I was down for the whole thing. I was in church last week way more than I was in the gym. (Although my weight is starting to climb back up, and on Tuesday, I did Astanga Yoga. I was sweating like a pig! It was literally pouring off me. My gym clothes were soaked. And the instructor, Bob, is a total hottie.)

Saturday, I managed to squeeze in both softball practice and the Great Vigil of Easter. After a cigar and an iced coffee on the grass pier, I sped home, changed clothes, and made it to church in plenty of time to get a good seat.

And I spent the bulk of softball practice on the pitcher's mound. And my fellow Ball Breakers were duly impressed with my efforts. I love being a pitcher. It's that center-of-attention thing, I think. Also, I look really mean. (!) And I seem to be unflusterable. Hope that lasts. If'n you know anything about baseball, you know that pitchers are prone to psychological terrors. One minute you're throwing 96 mile-per-hour fastballs, and the next minute you aren't sure you'll ever be able to put one over the plate again.

It's so much like whipping. Just like whipping. Just focus your attention on what you're aiming at, relax, wind up, throw. Don't let your mind get in the way, your body knows how to do it. Just like whipping.

And, NorskyBear presented me with the fabulous orange watch cap he knitted for me! I love my new orange watch cap. Alas, it does a really good job of keeping my head warm, so I won't be sporting it for several months (I hope). But look for me when I do!

And, Norsky and I talked about me sponsoring him for Inferno. Which I would gladly do. He's a great guy, and I've been a fan of his for years. In fact, if he were to ride out with me, I would be quite the speed demon. Having an Ossiffer in the car must have some privileges. Out on Randall's Island where we play, there seem to be no restrooms to speak of. I always keep a sharp lookout for when Norsky heads for the banks of the Bronx Kill to take a piss. I figure no cop is going to bust me for public urination as long as I'm doing it with another member of the force.

Sunday, I made a nice easter dinner for my dad (lambchops à la moutarde, bake potatoe, brussels sprouts). And actually managed to get some housecleaning done around here! Then, I headed for Montclair NJ for another date (that's four!) with Jersey Guy. We talked. We smoked cigars watching HGTV (Jersey is addicted to design, too). We got naked. It was so sweet. I sure am developing quite the soft spot for Jersey Guy.

So, despite the fact that with taxes and all, I have thirty two dollars left over of my paycheck and it's two weeks till the next payday, things are very good here.

Opening day is on Saturday! Wish me luck!


No comments: