Monday, February 05, 2007

Brrrrrrrr! Right?

So tonight, it's supposed to go down to 5°F. here in the Howling Wilderness. As I was driving back from Philadelphia today (had to pick up my paycheck from the former Place of Employ and meet up with a 26 year old who insisted on getting together with me for coffee and then--wait for it...--didn't show up, it was 10°.

Yesterday found me in NYC, where the icy arctic blasts were coming in off the Hudson and cutting through you like a knife. I met up with SadistNY for brunch (huevos rancheros at Brite Food Shop are highly recommended), then caught a cab over to the East Village for the winter meeting of the Gay Men's SM Spirituality Discussion Group (still eluding any attempt at an acronym). Afterwards, as I'm watching my money, I ended up walking from 2nd Ave and 7th to where I had parked my car at 10th Ave and 22nd Street.

Hooo-eeee!

I hate the cold, and I always have. My sister, on the other hand, was one of those people you might have read about in books who "loves the cold." (Like "Morning People," they have a lot of work to do if they're gonna gain my favor.) Once when I was all bundled up Charlie Brown-style, and she was wearing basically a tshirt and a scarf, she offered me some words of wisdom: "Don't do that!"

"What?" I asked.

"Don't tense yourself up like that. It just makes you feel the cold more. Just relax into it. It feels cold. So what. It won't kill you. Just relax and be aware of what the cold feels like. Stop acting like you're getting root canal without anaesthetic."

And so I do. Or at least, I do after I remind myself to do that every time I'm out in it during the winter.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

No comments: