Monday, July 16, 2007

Hamstrung!

Oh. My. God.

So I decided to do a web search on first aid for a torn hamstrung. It seems that there's grade one, where after exercise it sort of feels like a slight cramp (I don't have that); a grade two tear, which hurts right away (check) and causes pain and limping (check and check); and finally grade three, which has all that pain but also a bulge or a depression where the muscle is torn (no, thank the Lord).

And they recommend the RICE protocol: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. I know this as "Ace it, Ice it, Elevate it," and I pretty much did that.

Okay. So far, so good. But then I read this...

As a general rule, grade one Hamstring strains should be rested from sporting activity for about 3 weeks and grade two injuries for about 4 to 6 weeks. In the case of a complete rupture, the Hamstring muscle will have to be repaired surgically and the rehabilitation afterwards will take about 3 months.

Four to six weeks??? I think Not.

C'mon, legs! Are you feelin' the healin'? We got two more Saturdays in the season, and I won't be taking myself out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you angered Wolf? You know that is their most common way of disabling prey.

Take this injury seriously, SIR. Ice it more than you want to. You might be able to get away with half the recovery time by you really shouldn't risk it all by pushing it next weekend if it still hurts at all. You risk the 3 month injury if you do, and you won't be able to walk pretty much at all. I had a friend who tore it, and it was really really bad.

And as much as I'd like you to be totally unable to run away..... ;)