Monday, January 06, 2003

I am sooooo tired. If I sit in any one position for too long, I’ll probably nod off and go to sleep. And of course, the Boss called me as I was walking to the train this morning to tell me that because he had a stomach virus, the 9 am meeting I was going to was called off. More likely he’s just tired because he spent the weekend at this sleepaway camp for State legislators (Attention Al Quaeda operatives…) and he probably had to work for a change.

Speaking of work, I’m officially looking for a new job. I want to put together a sort of ‘skills-based’ resume, a la “What Color Is Your Parachute?” Thinking back on elements of the last few jobs I’ve had that I’ve enjoyed and where I’ve met with some success, I think the three major skill sets are as follows:

Strategic Planning and Project Management
Coalition Building
Advocacy

My inclination is to get the hell out of the public sector. No more non-profit, no more politics. Something with real, concrete, tangible results. Like making money.

Unfortunately, this is probably the worst time in my adult life to be looking for a job, as sour as the economy is these days. I met with a friend of mine who used to work here until he fled to Paris to preserve his sanity. He suggested that I approach my boss, castigate him for luring me away from a job I enjoyed into this morass, and demand that he find me a new job and get out of his clutches. Although I like the ‘out of his clutches’ part, to me that plan smacks of way too much drama in the script. Like some episode of ‘Dynasty.’ Since it’s been a decade since I got a job by going through the want ads and sending in my resume, I don’t have a lot of hope in that course of action. My inclination is to ask around among people I know and see if anybody knows of anything. I wonder if Schlitz is hiring at his international business development consulting firm. Wouldn’t that be fun? “Next week? I’d love to, but I’m in Los Angeles on Monday and Tuesday, Sydney on Wednesday and Thursday, and Seattle on Friday and Saturday. Maybe Sunday for Brunch?”


Perhaps I’ll run away and join the circus. I could be an elephant handler or something. Cleaning up after elephants couldn’t be much worse than the current gig. I understand elephants can be awfully temperamental. Being on the road the entire year could forestall anything in the way of romantic entanglements. It’ll be a boy in every city coast to coast. I’m actually sort of serious. Go to CraigsList for New York City and search on ‘circus’ and you’ll see what I mean. It all depends on whether or not I could take my dog. I wonder if they could use a whip act? I bet half the ensemble is Russian. How Xopomo would that be? Oh. Never mind. I just re read the add. I’d have to have an RV. I assume they mean I’d need to come to the job with my own Airstream Trailer or whatever. I probably couldn’t live out of my Jeep. How would I make tea? Oh. And I just checked their website. Their touring cities include Atlanta (nice), New York City (I kinda know my way around there. I mean here.), and Boston (I’ve heard nothing but bad things about Boston, although there are some hot LeatherNavigator men that live there). And then, Rhode Island, Long Island, and Bridgewater, New Jersey.

Time to switch to Plan B. Now, what was Plan B again?

........................................................

No comments: