Wednesday, June 19, 2002

"Horien said he was able to preach to the sadists as they arrived for the IML event."

What a wild site. Run by the Concerned Women for America, it's sort of a seething, pursed-lip, tut-tutting (and frankly titilating) account of International Mr. Leather in Chicago. They make much about an unfortunate attendee who apparently overdosed on GHB in his room. Now what if homosexuals were to report on snake handling fatalities? The cost of hosting such a website would be prohibitive.

I know, I know. How good does it make me feel sharing the Republican Party with a bunch of yahoos bent on spiritualizing their neuroses? Not very good. But heck, reading the Village Voice just leaves me sputtering with outrage. And, I've never met a fundamentalist Christian that I couldn't have a conversation with. There's a huge difference between the politics people have been lead to expect from those in their lives who claim moral leadership and how they treat the guy sitting next to them on the airplane who's jetting off to Chicago to attend IML.

When I described to a (heterosexual, married, Catholic) friend of mine just what this event was that I was going to, she started laughing and said, "Drew, you're going to a beauty pageant." I had to admit that she was right. That's basically what it all boils down to. The Concerned Women for America probably would love to see it in a more purient light, but at the core, it's a beauty pageant.

No comments: