Monday, June 10, 2002

Uh... Sorry. Posting was 'temporarily unavailable' and I got nervous, so I re-posted my final Friday entry this morning. It's not deja vu, just my incompetence.

Speaking of my incompetence, a life-affirming thing playing softball on Saturday. We had two games against the same team. In the first game, I was EP, and had three times at bat. I struck out all three times. I was really bad. We had a lunch break in between the games. The manager announced that in the second game, I would be playing right field. Another guy who hadn't been able to make the first game showed up. He's better than I am. So I said to Joel, our manager, "Y'know, if you want to take me out for the second game, that would be fine with me." Joel said, "Why?" "Welllll... Because I can't get a hit to save my life today. I'm too new at this. If there's batting practice before we play, then I'm more relaxed at the plate. Stepping right up and facing a pitcher I'm way too nervous."
Everybody (Everybody!) on the team was shaking their heads, saying "No no no no."
"It's not about that. We're here to have fun. Look at being behind the plate as batting practice."
So I did. I stayed in. I hit the ball twice. The first time I flied out (but I hit the damn thing!) and the second time I got on base.
I love softball.

Immediately after the game, I changed clothes and headed out the L.I.E. to Sayville to catch the ferry for Fire Island. So nice. I could really get used to that. Don't get me wrong, I could never afford even a quarter share in all liklihood, and if it wasn't for the generousity (and insane job demands) of my friend and landlord Don I wouldn't be there at all. So, enjoy it while you can. And I do enjoy it. Saturday was on the cool side. I slept well, and I let myself sleep till 10am to give my pulled muscles from softball time to recuperate. Sunday was gorgeous. Made myself a nice brunch, took Prosper my dog for a walk on the beach, then sat reading by the pool. Andrew the house man suggested a dip. It was wonderful. The water was shockingly cold. I was overheated from the sun.
I took the 5:50 ferry back to the mainland, and drove back towards NYC. Usually, returning to NYC just fills me with dread. The noise, the traffic, the people. Especially when I'm coming back from someplace where those elements are absent. But as I came over the final hill on 495 before the approach to the Midtown Tunnel, there was the sun, bright orange, setting behind the skyline, which was set off in a beautiful azure. Here and there the sun was reflected (on the Citicorp building, the Seagrams Building) in fiery brilliant orange. Just breathtaking.

The Holland Tunnel was jam packed and took an hour to negotiate. I dropped off Prosper and my gear at home, then headed back into the city to meet up with my friend Steve for dinner. I parked my car, and I was heading to the Factory Cafe on Christopher to wait for Steve, when this total bohunk comes up and stands next to me while I was waiting at the light to cross Hudson. Some casual conversation ("So, what's up, Buddy?) indicated his strong desire to bed me. Now, I was already in a good mood, just glowing. But that wee bit of positive reinforcement just put me right over the edge. I was euphoric.
"If I had the opportunity to sit in some anteroom in paradise before I was born into this world, and got to pick the life I would live, I would pick this one. Bar none.' Without qualification.

But then again, I have a Board of Directors meeting tonight. So we'll see how I'm doing afterwards.

No comments: