Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Jitters

Job interview tomorrow!

Nervous? Yeah.

Some job interview flubs I've made...

•In front of this tight assed human resources manager, I made the horrible error of rocking back in my chair and putting my ankle over my knee. (I didn't get that job, like I'd want to work there.)
•When asked to name a quality of mine that might detract from my ability to do the job, I said, "I can be indecisive." (I ended up getting that job anyway.)
•When looking out the window of the woman interviewing me for a job at a brokerage firm on the 102nd floor of 2 World Trade Center, I said, "Holy shit!" (Definitely didn't get that job; she seemed cool up to that point, then she turned decidedly uncool.)

At work, I told them I had a dentist appointment. The boss was cool, coming back with "what are you having done? We have tools here..." But I think they know what's up. And they're terrified. They have that deer in the headlights look.

And I feel terrible about that. I love those guys. I love my job. I'm going to be sad to leave it all behind.

But I've realized that I will never be a master cabinet maker.

Well, not entirely true. About the time I hit sixty I might be a master cabinet maker.

Get it now?

I sort of realized this months ago. When as part of the apprenticeship program, I had to build a box of some kind. So I built a humidor for my Sir. It was done in cherry, and I put walnut trim on it. I was pretty proud of the effort. One of the foremen at work came over to take a look. "Nice job, Dutch!" he complemented. All good. Then he followed that with "Cherry and walnut is a great combination. When I was sixteen I made a grandfather clock with cherry and walnut."

Now you get it.

I decided to dress to kill tomorrow. I have this blue wool/lycra pinstripe suit. I mean, it's All That. I'm even gonna wear a tie. Although it could very well be the final time they see me wearing a tie. I decided a few years ago that I don't wear ties.

But hey. Be cool. Just be cool. When it comes to a job search, one important thing to remember: disappointment happens.

I'll let you all know how goes.


1 comment:

mhg said...

I hope it all goes in the manner you desire. Keep us posted!
Now...to take a peek at Doylestown's Front Porch... :-)