Saturday, December 17, 2005

"One Chicken... Two Chickens... Three Chickens... Four... Five... Six... Seven Chickens! Great! Okay, So They're Just Eggs Right Now, But They Will Be Chickens!"

It's true!

Unbelievable as it might be, Starbucks is starting to irk me. None of the regulars from the summer are hanging there any more. And there's this new crew behind the counter. These... these... kids. It seems like there's a different crew every day. The manager went on maternity leave, and the two guys she left more or less in charge are idiots. I think they dip into the product too much. Leading to inane conversations at deafening decibles.

But heck... If I get thes job... If I start commuting into Philadelphia every day... Where am I gonna hang?

No doubt you're thinking "Duh! Like there are no Starbucks in Philadelphia?"

Of course there are. But none I've been in really has that cruise factor thing happening, y'know?

There was a place called Millenium Coffee, right in the middle of the so-called Gay-borhood, that I loved. But a month or so, it closed down. And I just have no idea where I'm gonna go for my latte, to read my NY Times, to see and be seen.

Ananotherthing with this possible new job... Clothes. I'm guessing that it will be no more Carhartts. i do have a selection of suits available to me, but what a pain in the ass. Most places are doing "business casual" these days. And hopefully this place will be no exception.

Now, back in NYC, this wouldn't be a problem. There were cool places to buy clothes. Funky clothes. Masculine but playful. And because the whole damn town is stylin' and profilin', wearing them wasn't a problem either. But in Philadelphia, I'm just worried that I'm going to end up in those damn striped shirts. I hate those striped shirts.

And the gym situation. Should I bid a fond farewell to Cornerstone Fitness in Furlong, Pennsylvania? Pick out a gym in Center City? The obvious option would be the 12th Street Gym. From what I understand, that's the Gay Gym. Sounds hateful, right? All kinds of crowded with idiots who camp out forever on a piece of equipment and don't re-rack their weights. But i'll give it a shot. See if I can get a day pass to check it out.

See, this kind of stuff makes me nuts. I'm a a creature of routine. And right now, I have my routine down. And to have to have to disrupt that totally... It makes me tired just thinking about it.

And where the heck will I have lunch every day?

Meanwhile, when I'm not dithering about gym and such, I've been doing some research on this organization. They look great! Really great! People I'd really enjoy working with.

Anyway, time to pick out stuff to wear on Monday.

Psychologists refer to all of this as 'binding anxiety.'


No comments: