Sunday, October 10, 2004

Bad News For SingleTails Fans

Tonight I was reminded by nothing in particular of my New Year's Resolution. Write my book.

Write my book. Right.

Have I done that? No. No I haven't. Not a page, not a paragraph, not a sentence, not a word.

The Baron von Philadelphia confronted me a few weeks ago with a possible reason as to why.

"You're a writer," said the Baron. "That means you need to write. But even more than that, you need to be read."

That certainly rings true.

"And right now, your needs are met. Met by that weblog thing of yours." (The Baron is not a reader. One of those who finds it really uncomfortable to see me spout out my innermost longings onto the World Wide Internet.) "You should end your weblog. Then, you'd have much better motivation to sit down, write your book, get it published, and get read."

Gosh, you're right!

That's was my response. Sitting there with the Baron at dinner, I decided then and there. After all, LthrEdge is going much the same route. And why not?

Well, because I couldn't do it. My postings here--good, bad, or indifferent--mean too much to me. I write, and I'm read. And I write about things I care about. And get email (we love email!!!) in response to things I write.

So I'm not going to give up on SingleTails.

But here's what I am going to do. SingleTails is going on hiatus.

Round about the first week of November, I'll post a note to that effect. But I'll be back. Roundabout January 1st, 2005. Then I'll be back in the saddle.

I'm hoping that by that time, I've got most of the damn thing written. Lord knows I won't be able to spend all of that time chopping firewood.

Not much going on during the intervening two months. Santa Saturday after Thanksgiving. Christmas shopping. Not much else. You won't be missing a lot.

And maybe, just maybe, just ma-a-a-a-aybe, I'll write my book.

And then you'll all be able to read that.


No comments: