Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Imagine

So the 40th Birthday is approaching. I'm buying myself a present. A small present. I'm getting myself a bulletin board.

What's up with that?

Okay okay okay. How pedestrian. It's an idea I got off Queer Eye For The Straight Guy. It's a Goals Visualiation bulleting board. The bulletin board will hang over the cabinet in my bedroom where I empty my pockets every night and fill them up every morning. On the bulletin board will be images to inspire me. The kitchen I want to cook in. The dungeon I want to play in. The body I could have. The welding machine I want to own. A mock up of my first, published book.

Over the past couple of years, I've been putting a lot of thought into my future. Where I want to be, and, more importantly, who I want to be. Often, I get blue and wistful and dissatisfied, but snap back when I remember that I'm working toward goals, and making progress.

Maybe it's a natural part of growing older, this new orientation towards the future. Previously I liked to keep my options open. Maybe I'll move to Fort Leatherdale. Maybe I'll collar a slave. Maybe I'll go to grad school. Maybe maybe maybe. Sometimes, the Big Ideas come as frequently as once a week. And always, when I felt things in my current life constraining me, anger would grow.

But those myriad ideas seem to have settled into a few defining and inspiring ideas.

And so I'm borrowing a page from the book of Ted, Carson, Jay, Kyan, and Thom. And buying myself a bulletin board.

It'll happen.

All things work together for good for those who love the Lord.


1 comment:

Hoss said...

No to nit pick, but you left out the last part of the verse, "...,who are called according to his purpose" (new Oxford Annotated r.s.v.). But it's no less a powerful encouragement, eh?