Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Movin' On Up!

I'm upgrading my system!

Soon, I'll be running Mac OS 10.whatevertheheckthemostrecentversionis. I was prompted to do this because I started getting these error messages along the lines of, "Your hard disk is almost full."

Well that's bad!

So first, I got an external harddrive with over a hundred gigabytes of space. Amazing to think about the fact that my Mac SE came with 2MB of RAM. Then, I got this upgraded memory chip that should have me going smokin' fast. (Alas, I need a teeny tiny screwdriver to install this, so I haven't done that yet.) But right now, as I type, everything I need to install Mac OS 10.whatevertheheckthemostrecentversionis is downloading to said external harddrive now. (We're 1/96th of the way there after seven hours of downloading.)

I'll have widgets! I'll have the latest version of all the iLife things! And with all that storage space, I can be takin' pictures and downloading mp3's to my heart's content. And, for the first time in my life, I'll have stuff backed up.

I know! Flirting with disaster all these years!

True enough, a lightning strike will wipe me out all together. (I know two people that happened to.) But it's a step in the right direction.

Icarus out in Seattle is helping me through all of this. Lord knows I couldn't and wouldn't have tackled any of this without him. And he has my undying gratitude for that.

No comments: