Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Madonna And Me

Twenty-five years ago today, April 24, 1982, a single called "Everybody" by an unknown singer named Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone was sprung upon an unsuspecting world.

Not long after, I traveled up to NYC to go clubbing with some folks I worked with. I'm not quite sure about the venue--maybe Danceteria, maybe Area--but the music was great and I was all over the dancefloor.

There was this woman about my age who cut a really mean rug, too.

I needed to take a break, and was working my way across the dancefloor to where my posse had commandeered a lounge area. And there I was, side by side, with the woman I had noticed dancing.

Her: You're a good dancer!

Me: You, too! I don't know how good I am, but the music here is amazing! I'm Drew.

Her: My name is Madonna.

Me: What a great name! I'll remember that.

Her: I hope so! I have a single out.

Me: Wow! That's so cool! If you sing as good as you dance, it will fly right up the charts.

Her: Buy it, okay?

Me: You got it, Madonna!

And we parted.

Details are vague at this point. I couldn't find a single by anyone named Madonna in the local record stores, but when I saw an album by Madonna, I showed it to my friend Ed saying, "Hey! I met her up in New York! She's really nice!"

The salient point: Madonna said I was a good dancer.

The other salient point: That was twenty-five years ago.

(Oh. Dear. God.)

No comments: