Friday, May 02, 2003

Dang. How come getting tested for HIV is sooooo complicated? I'm due, so I gave a call to the Callen-Lorde Health Center. I got an appointment pretty quickly, but then came the kicker: they wanted $90 for HIV and syphyllis. So, it looks like it's back to GMHC and the David Geffen Center. I had a not great experience with them last time around, but I suppose it'll have to be them. On Fridays, the Geffen Center has walk-in hours. (Otherwise, it takes weeks to get an appointment.) Alas, I was delayed leaving the office, so by the time I got down there, most of the slots were filled, so now I have to go back at 2:30.

How I miss Project Achieve. Participating in a study meant that I got tested for free every three months, which is how it ought to work. I ought to suggest that to GMHC... that they set up a program whereby every three months you come in and get tested. Doubtless they'd want to add some group counseling component or whatnot, but I think that I could live with that. And in fact, I'm meeting with policy people from GMHC at 4pm this afternoon. Pretty interesting, huh? Perhaps I should suggest we meet down there, or else we all could very well all be riding the subway up to my office together.


No comments: