Thursday, November 21, 2002

Fight back. Fight AIDS.

Wow. On my way home fromreening of James Wentay's documentary on ACT UP, the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power. Waiting to get into the theater, my friend Andie-grrrl and I concluded that waiting for any one of a sizeable panoply of wackos to show up was like going through a spook house. "Oh no! It's him! Eeeeeaaaaah!!!" Happily, their numbers were few.

The last time I was in a room with those folks was probably eight or nine years ago. Uncanny. It was like watching a Mamas and the Papas documentary, watching people get fat and old as the film went on. Or, in many cases, not.

I had forgotten what it was like. Initally, it was like watching a home movie... "Look! There I am at the NIH action! And there's Baron von Philadelphia! I got maced that day."

Then came the first kick in the stomach: "I remember him. he could have had me by snapping his fingers. I wonder what he's up to these days? Oh. Right."

I forgot what it was like. it was this incredible microcosm. Brilliant men and women. And tedious men and women. Mostly brilliant. So many sexy men. And togehter we were angry, and we grieved, and we laughed, and we celebrated, and we had sex. And together we were angry, and we grieved, and we laughed, and we celebrated, and we had sex, and we went to funerals, and we protected one another, and we let one another down, and we were afraid, and we overcame our fear. It was the full spectrum of the human condition, but viewed through a magnifying glass. What an incredible time in my life that was.

But it's all wonderful. If I could choose any life at all to live, I'd live this one.

Well, Episode 18 of Season 3 of Sex in the City is over. Time to walk my dog.

------------------------------
A

No comments: