Monday, November 25, 2002

Jumping Jehosophat. A few days ago, on November 22, I was sort of awed that I was poised to break 800. And now, my hit meter reads 896. Why, after I get a handle on HTML and figure out how to put feeelthy peeectures up on my blog, I could be zipping into the thousands.

Question: Do I need to own the DVD for the Scooby-Doo Movie? I mean, I want to see it. (Even my most open-minded and indulgent friends and acquaintances drew the line at this one.) But, after one viewing, I don't think it will be something I turn to again and again. There are a few items I want to get from amazon.com, including this Navy Seals workout book reviewd in The Sun today, and a CD of Messaien's Tanangalila-Symphonie. (Past President was right: it would be great for whipping.) And didn't I just put the Scooby-Doo movie in my shopping cart.

Now, I've discussed the merits of Scooby-Doo before in my blog. Succinctly, you've got to love a cartoon that teaches the invaluable life lesson that whenever you're confronted by some weird, mysterious, frightening, possibly paranormal phenomenon, it's probably just about real estate. I've wanted to rent it for the longest time, but the only video rental place I pass in my travels (Mrs. Hudson's) is artsy-fartsy and doesn't have much that was made after 1965, unless it has sub-titles. Which is the reason that I can't live on the Upper West Side, the very nest of New Yorkers Who Would Never Go See Scooby-Doo, Charlie's Angels, or Josie and the Pussycats. That said, if I joined an inconveniently located Blockbuster, rented Scooby-Doo, and didn't return it for three days, I'd probably end up spending less than I would if I bought the damn thing and watched it exactly once. Huh. It just dawned on me that DVDs don't make sense for one person. If it's two people, then assuming that you're buying the DVD instead of going to the movie, the price to beat is $20, which would be the average cost of two people going to a multiplex, exclusive of popcorn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: