Thursday, January 08, 2004

Legs

One of the benefits of living in NYC that I hadn't considered before. When you live in Gotham, you walk everywhere. And going into and coming out of the subway, you climb dozens of stairs. As a result, after thirteen years in the city, I had thighs like hamhocks.

But no longer. Living here in the hinterlands is like living in LA. You drive everywhere. I walk my dog, and I walk from where I parked my car to wherever I'm going. The other day, I looked in the mirror and decided that I was getting skinny legs.

That will never do.

So the other night at the gym, I did legs. Squats. Lunges. Calf raises. All of it. When my brother asked me what the squats were for, I told him, "So I can snap a pencil with my butt cheeks!"

And today, when I was lifting all of those cabinets--with my legs, like you're supposed to--I was really feeling it. I was noisy climbing in and out of the truck. Not me-bottoming-in-a-scene noisy, but noisy enough.

I'll have legs like trans-atlantic cables in no time.


No comments: