Tuesday, June 15, 2004

What's Up, Doc?

Saw Dr. Burmeister today. Very cool. The man who delivered me, gave me all my shots growing up, told me that when I was older, my susceptibility to acne would mean that I would be much less susceptible to rinkles..

Me: Good to see you! I wonder if you remember me... I haven't see you in twenty years...
Dr. B: Twenty years! How the hell am I supposed to remember you after twenty years?

Dr. B. found my vasculitis interesting, and would be up for trying something to stop it. I didn't fess up too my untreated hypothyroidism

And the ankle? He said, "Well, we could x-ray it and see if you've chipped that bone that's tender, and I'd recommend you wear an air cast until it heals. Or, you can skip the x-ray and just wear the air cast, and see if that doesn't make it easier for you to be on your feet all day at work. Either way works.

I decided that I had plenty of carcinogens in my life already and skipped the aircast.

Dr. B. also complemented me on my Ace bandage wrap. He asked if I had learned to do it that way, in a figure eight pattern, in the Boy Scouts. I replied that in fact I had. I also know how to make a splint and bandage a head. I also know how to wrap a man head to toe in duct tape, but that I didn't learn in the Boy Scouts. Although I sure wouldn't mind doing some duct tape mummification with my hunka hunka burnin' love Scout Master of yore.

Dr. Burmeister is gruff, old school, honest, upfront. He must be in his seventies (at least), but aside from some reminiscences about when he almost got a tattoo in the Navy, seems sharp as a tack.

And after that Once-A-Day-For-A-Healthy-Prostate episode, what is not to like?


No comments: