Wednesday, October 16, 2002

I wonder if it would be worth it to list with a gay roommate finding service? What are the chances I could find a place in the West Village for less than $1000? Oh, and I have a dog and I smoke and yes, that's a St. Andrew's Cross I'm bolting to the wall. And I'd need a broad band internet connection. And lots of closet space. And what the hell do I do with my apartment full of furniture? And my car. How would I deal with having a car in Manhattan? But I could go back to Geico for car insurance and save big bucks. I guess I could haul my furniture down to Fort Lauderdale.

Not that I don't like Jersey City. I love Jersey City. Really, I do. But getting on the PATH train to get over there, particularly late at night, is just getting to be a little much. And especially with my new job and all of those responsibilities. And, do I really need to make my life more complicated than it already is?

On the other hand, I'd be able to get laid more. I could not begin to ennumerate the number of steamy conversations I've had that ended when I said I lived at the other side of the Hudson River. And, of course, His place isn't really an option because I have to walk my dog.

I used to believe that if I lived outside of Manhattan I'd develope what I referred to as a Rich Home Life. For years, that was my goal. Making a nice meal for myself, settling in with a good book, writing letters to friends, working on whatever book idea was kicking around in my head. Long, long did I lament the fact that my apartment was the place where I stopped in now and again to sleep and feed my cat. And then, I got that. Quite the rich home life. Unfortunately, it also came with my Ex. So while I was cooking a nice pot roast for dinner, I was listening to him unload his ever replenished store of rage on me. And there was never, ever time for reading or writing, as his needs and interests had to be attended to.

So screw that. I want a bed and a place for my dog to sleep. If all fails, I'll find some place in Newark to garage my car. And hell, I dealt with moving the car in Brooklyn without too much trouble. We'll see how it goes. Dang it. I think I will sign up. All I have to lose is $150. Good question to ask them: at any given time, what's the ration of people looking for rooms to people who have rooms to offer? I'm betting 80:1. Whatever they answer, I'll double it. And picture 79 quiet, bookish, well-salaried, non-smoking, non-pet owning, recent college graduate with almost no furniture kind of guys standing in line ahead of me.

I wonder if there's anyone in the extended GMSMA universe that would have a room available. I should put the word out.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: