Monday, October 28, 2002

Oh Man. Just got home. After work, I went with Boss to a fundraiser for the Anti-Violence Project. Ran into several people I haven't seen in years, and Boss introduced me to a lot of people I'll probably be getting to know over the coming weeks and months. We only made an appearance, then it was off to a fundraiser for Democratic candidates. Again, bunches of folks I haven't seen in a long long time.

(I almost feel as if for the past five years I've been on an island, dealing with folks in the world of harm reduction and syringe exchange. In many ways it's an isolated community. I forgot how smoothely and effortlessly I move through the wacky world of New York City politocos.)

And then, in the door came New York State's Junior Senator, Hilary Rodham Clinton. She made a brief speech, and then went around to each and every table in the room, greeting folks warmly. I was in the middle of some witty and risque anecdote when She Of The Black Crepe Pant Suit appeared at the table. I gave a curt 'Hello' and told her my name, and it was over. I didn't lose control of my bladder. I had a great time paling around with the two staffers who put together the event, currently on leave from Boss' office to work on a campaign on the East Side that's something more of a challenge. Boss is apparently very buddy-buddy with Hilary. He was singled out for special recognition in her brief speech.

Politics: it's weird and soulless, but it's soooo much fun. The personalities are so much larger than life. Political enemies are skewered for fortunate wardrobe decisions. (I remember well a city council hearing after which we talked for months about the fact that the Commissioner of the Human Resources Administration seemed to be wearing garters done in surgical glove material that came to just above her knees. For months.) It's full of wit and irony and gallows humor. There was a fifteen minute battle about whether a certain politico would be asked to stand and say a few words, although she's generally viewed as being ineffective and not a team player. Her election is pretty much a mystery, especially given the eminently qualified candidates she defeated handily. But, the point was moot when she left after about five minutes. In the door and out the door.

-----------------------------------

Got an incredibly moving email from ARt today. It seems that the experience was as moving for him as it was for me. And, he liked the apples.

Oh. Maybe I didn't mention the apples. I wanted to give ARt some small token of my appreciation. I could not figure out an appropriate gift. Then, eating eggs after church, it hit me: apples. Apples are in season and they're wonderful. And, the whole thing about giving an apple to the teacher, and ARt is and has been in so many ways my teacher. So I found a nice bowl made of mango wood, bought some locally grown apples, found a card picturing a flexing Charles Atlas (shot from behind, showing his back), and left it with ARt's doorman. It felt so good to do something so heartfelt, and it was great to learn it was appreciated.

----------------------------------

One thing I wonder about this new job: am I ever gonna get laid again? I mean, my schedule has just gotten so incredibly busy. I've got to high tail it home after therapy tomorrow to do some grocery shopping. I'm just about out of dog food.

No comments: