Wednesday, October 02, 2002

Thunder Road

I once had a brainstorm in the shower. As a teenage homo, I listened to all the songs my heterosexual peers did, but in some respects they spoke to me differently. Just once, I wanted Bruce Springsteen or Anthony Keidas or Billy Idol to sing a song to me. Things have come a long way since I was in highschool, and I wonder if it would be possible to round up a bunch of rock stars to sing songs of teenage lust and longing that give voice to same sex attraction? If a compilation CD were put together, the proceeds could go to benefit suicide prevention among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and questioning youth.

A song that still gets me all choked up to sing along with is Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road. I think I was about 17 when I started to slightly alter the lyrics. So here they are. My Thunder Road. (Apologies to you, Bruce. But somehow I don't think you'll take offense.)

The screen door slams
Jim’s old hound bays
He hushes his dog and stands on the porch
As the radio plays
Jimmy Summerville singing for the lonely
Hey that’s me and I want you only
Don’t turn me home again
I just can face my self alone
Don’t run back inside, Jimmy
Let me explain what I’m here for
So you’re scared and you’re thinking
That maybe we ain’t that young anymore
Show a little faith, there’s magic in the night
You ain’t Ben Afleck buy hey you’re alright
Oh and that’s alright with me.

You can stay in your basement
Lifting your weights
Jerk off alone
And be a no-show for internet dates
Waste your summer praying in vain
For the man of your dreams to come by
Well I’m no one’s dream
That’s understood
But I never done you wrong
And you once said I done you good
This is our last chance to find that good somehow
And what else can we do now
Except roll down the window
And let the wind blow through your hair.
Well the night’s busting open
These two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back
Heaven’s waiting on down the tracks.

Oh oh come take my hand
We’re riding out tonight to case the promised land
Oh oh Thunder Road, oh Thunder Road
Oh Thunder Road
Lying out there like a killer in the sun
Hey I know it’s late we can make it if we run
Oh Thunder Road, sit tight, take hold

I got a buddy out west and
He got me a job tending bar
There’s room for two on this trip
And a full tank of gas in this car
From your front porch to my front seat
The door is open but the ride ain’t free
I know you’re lonely for words
That I ain’t spoken
But tonight we’ll be free
All the promises’ll be broken

There was lust in the eyes of all the circuit boys you sent away
They haunt the streets of West Chelsea
Begging strangers for one more bump of K

They scream your name at night in the bars
Wishing they could have what once was ours
They see a man but I know the boy
Stranger to pain but also to joy
With a heart that hate can’t destroy

Or turn to stone. Jimmy climb in
It’s town for losers
And we’re pulling out of here to win.

No comments: