Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Mr. Chairman

It all comes together.

Or at least, that's the way things are feeling. I hope this trend persists through Sunday.

Spent most of the day getting GMSMA's books together. I had hoped to have everything ship shape by the time of the Board dinner this evening, but I still have a little ways to go. It's all working out, though. No stumpers so far. Thank the Lord for Microsoft Excel.

Two significant things happened at the Board dinner. First off, I found a partner for the scene I agreed to do at the Eagle on Saturday night. None other than the sweet man sitting next to me. Logistically, I wasn't sure what I could make work there. I mean, it's not like they have a St. Andrew's Cross or anything, and I really don't feel like hauling mine into the City and back. So, I'm going to be doing percussion. As in, beating him. I think I'll risk bringing my illegal in New York State SAP gloves across the river.

And the other big thing? I am now the Chairman of the Board of Directors of GMSMA. I was voted in unanimously. I'm really excited about that. I feel confident I'll do a good job.

After the dinner, I went over to Ty's (Home of the Ballbreakers). Wednesdays are our fundraising night. I won the fifty-fifty raffle, walking away with eighty bucks. Well, not quite. I bought a round for my teammates.

Then I went to the Eagle. My purpose was to drop off Folsom Street East posters (you're signed up to volunteer, right? Right??!!!) and to check out the space and figure out where and how I could do my demo on Saturday. There are no eyebolts in the ceiling. At all. Not one. There are a few lead pipes on the first floor, so perhaps I can hang some chains from there. Less than ideal, but I think I can make it work. I also met the manager. A really nice guy. He gave me a free drink token. I'm going to pass on to him the number of the guy that built my St. Andrew's Cross. After all these months of bitching about the place, it would be appropriate for me to take the lead in getting some play equipment in there.

And then I met this guy. Well, actually I met him at Leather Pride Night. He amused himself (and me) by finding his way into my police tactical one-piece through the pocket slits in the side and rubbing my ass. He's a psychotherapist, but is feeling a little burnt out on doing that. So he suggested that we buy some police tactical one-piece uniforms and sell them on the internet and to local distributers. Huh. Maybe there will be something in that. Maybe I have found a business partner. Stranger things have happened.

So even though as of tomorrow another item on my list of things to do is to file for Unemployment, I have peace. It will all come together. Who knows? Maybe it will come together before Semptember 30th, and I'll be stuck living in this godforsaken city for a few more years.

Can't wait to play softball on Saturday. Today, while I was working on the GMSMA books, I popped in my DVD of The Natural, the baseball movie starring Robert Redford, Glenn Close, and Kim Bassinger. Love that movie. When Robert Redford's character, Roy Hobbs, from his hospital bed, says, "I love baseball," better believe I'm choking on sobs. "Oh yeah, Roy, me too! I love baseball tooooo!"

I've gotta get the DVDs for 'Field of Dreams' and 'Bull Durham,' too. Along with 'A League of Their Own,' that'll round out my collection. Aside from Vin Diesel movies, I don't know that I need to own anything else.

Oh. My first act as Chairman was to issue an edict that at this year's Board reatreat, we'll all be wearing sarongs. I think I'm gonna wear my sarong and my leather vest and boots to march with GMSMA in the Pride march this year.

Q: Do you wear underwear when you wear a sarong?
A: I only wear underwear when I wear worsted wool. Why in God's name would I wear underwear with a sarong?


No comments: