Friday, June 06, 2003

Oh. And another cool thing about Bucks County. They have Tasty Kakes there. We're talking chocolate cream-filled cupcakes, Tandy Cakes, Butterscotch Krimpets. All of it. Y'know what benighted New Yorkers have? Hostess. Absolute dreck. Today I made the mistake of buying what I thought were little chocolate donoughts. I picked up a box of "Hostess Frosted Donuts." They taste like how I imagine upholstery to taste. Y'know why they're called "Frosted Donuts" instead of "Chocolate Frosted Donuts?" Because the good people at Hostess doesn't put enough chocolate in there for them to legally label them as being chocolate. Trust me on that. I'm the son of a food inspector. At MacDonald's, you can get a 'shake' with your Big Mac and fries, but you can't get a milkshake. Why? Because there isn't a sufficient percentage of milk in there. I've never had the courage to ask for a list of ingredients. In high school, it was said that shakes were made of 'edible plastic.' I have no idea whether or not this is true. Probably not, as plastic is a petroleum product and I can't imagine what you would have to do to a petroleum product to make it edible.

Rarely rarely I've run across Tasty Kakes in New York City. I can get them at my supermarket here in Jersey City. If you see them, pick up a sampling. You won't be disappointed. And my Dad used to inspect the bakery where they were made. They're made with milk, butter, flour, eggs, chocolate, and other things that you associate with a cupcake. And their chocolate donoughts are called "Chocolate
Donoughts."


No comments: