Friday, June 06, 2003

San Francisco, Open your Golden Gate...

I've written before about the beef I have with San Francisco. I've visited everywhere on the West Coast from Vancouver to San Diego, and most of the points in between, but somehow I've avoided San Francisco. I can never quite put my finger on why I have this thing with San Francisco. But, just the other I realized something. Time and time again in my life, San Francisco has done me a service. There'd be some totally annoying guy that just got right under my skin. Drove me nuts. Made it really difficult to maintain my Prime Directive of Always Be A Nice Guy. And then, problem solved: he'd move to San Francisco and get out of my hair. I swear, again and again it's happened. I'd greet the news with a sigh of relief. And it was always San Francisco.

So I imagine it to be a town populated with men who drive me nuts, have me clenching my teeth and balling my fists in my pockets. Last Refuge of the Fatuous.

Just yesterday, I was talking to UnFortunate and the name of a guy I knew from ACT UP came up. Total narcissistic idiot. You could see him start to twitch when attention was diverted from him for a moment. His argument for or against everything was usually delivered tearfully, and was all about how this made his life a wee bit more challenging. UnFortunate mentioned that he's moved to San Francisco.



Thank the Lord for small mercies.

But I've now met some men I like from San Francisco (such as Sweetheart Sir and a few others), and Special Guy will soon be moving to San Francisco, and I plan on visiting him as often as he'll have me. Walking around NYC with Special Guy is a great thing. He knows everybody, is infinitely charmed and excited, and just makes the place seem so much more interesting. No doubt that this former Daddy's bartender will be a great person to tour SF with.

Even though I'll be running the risk of encountering all of those way-off-the-asshole-meter guys that have spared me continued irritation by making the City by the Bay their home.


No comments: