Saturday, June 30, 2007

Not Looking Forward To Report Card Day

And you think I'm such a smart guy, huh?

Mingle2 Free Online Dating - Science Quiz


I got a D+

But I have to admit, I didn't study. I thought I could just coast by.

I remember in 5th Grade, we had a "Science Bee" in my class. All the other kids were eliminated, and it was a showdown between me and... Linda Partridge or Maggie Nathans, I think. One of those Smart Girls. The Smart Girl missed her question, and so I had to answer correctly to win. Mrs. Stern, the teacher, gave me the cinchiest of all cinchy questions: "What are the three types of rocks?"

That's so easy!

"Igneous, Sedimentary, and..."

I drew a blank.

"Igneous, Sedimentary, and..."

I know this! This is so easy!

Igneous rocks are formed by minerals exposed to heat close to the earth's core or by magma coming close to the earth's surface. They're formed by heat. Sedimentary rocks are when minerals get mushed together by being buried by other stuff. Fossils are sedimentary rocks. And then there's the third kind... Formed by...

"Igneous, Sedimentary, and..."

"Igneous, Sedimentary, and..."






"Igneous, Sedimentary, and..."

I didn't get it.

After what seemed an eternity, while I stood up there in front of the whole class repeating "Igneous, Sedimentary, and... Igneous, Sedimentary, and... Igneous, Sedimentary, and..." like some geologic mantra, I finally timed out, and Mrs. Stern, without even looking at me, said, "Metamorphic."

Agggggghhh! How could I forget Metamorphic!

The Smart Girl got her next question right, and I went down to defeat.

Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic.

Quarts, Shale, Diamonds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got respire wrong.

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Disappointed I didn't get 100%. More evidence I'm getting stupider as I get older.

I want to know which one I got wrong.