Monday, March 03, 2003

Winter is an abusive Top

I did a scene with winter last year. And it was... y'know, so-so. Nothing great. But I enjoyed it. The cold was cold, but it was applied sparingly. A good shot now and then. But not enough to really get used to it. And I remember thinking that I wanted more snow.

And now this. This is crazy. I know that cold is an important part of Winter's repertoire, but this is way too much. There was no discussion of limits. I'm not enjoying it. I'm just waiting for it to end. For awhile, it was enough to say to myself Wallace Stevens poem, The Snowman...


One must have a mind of winter
To regard the frost and the boughs
Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;

And have been cold a long time
To behold the junipers shagged with ice,
The spruces rough in the distant glitter

Of the January sun; and not to think
Of any misery in the sound of the wind,
In the sound of a few leaves,

Which is the sound of the land
Full of the same wind
That is blowing in the same bare place

For the listener, who listens in the snow,
And, nothing himself, beholds
Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.


But it is just way too much. Weeks on end of temperature in the teens and twenties... I mean, is Winter getting off on this? I'm sorry, it's moved way beyond consensual, and that's something we need to re-negotiate.

Okay, it's not all bad. The snow has been great. Winter can do snow really well when he wants to. And this scene proves that. But ultimately, the snow hasn't been enough to carry the scene successfully, because of all this damn cold. It's just way too much. And I swear, it's not just me. There is no weather bottom out there who would want this much cold.

That's it. I hate to do this, but I'm going to use the safeword. I'm ending this scene right now.

Damn. I can't remember the safeword. Did we negotiate a safeword?

Oh, hell.


No comments: