Friday, August 15, 2003

Blackout Follow-up

Most callers to wnyc agree: that was fun!.

Maybe we should make August 14th Blackout Day in NYC from now on. Just pull the plug at 4pm every year on August 14th.

There was a low incidence of Drama. Surprisingly low. In the wake of September 11th, you saw people walking around wearing gas masks for weeks. I remember i was sitting in a restaurant on September 14th and a guy came and sat down next to me wearing one of the heavy duty gas masks. I couldn't resist mentioning to him that as he was sitting in a restaurant, he'd have to take that off at some point.

I ran into a couple of people (like, three) who were having an experience of "This is all about inconveniencing me." But, these were few and far between, definitely the exception, rather than the rule. All in all, it was about Pluck. As in Pluck and Aplomb.

So cool.

Tragically, emergency procedures called for dumping sewage into the rivers. So, all the city beaches are closed today. So, UnFortunate and I have called off our beach day.

I'm gonna do some research to find out if I can, in fact, get back into Manhattan. That's being discouraged, and I don't doubt that parking is a panic, but I sure don't want to spend thee day sitting here in Jersey City.

Heck. I missed a gym day yesterday. Gotta make that up, right?


No comments: