Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Inspired

At the gym, I've decided to double the weight that I lift and cut down on my reps. I've heard for years and years of course that this is the route to getting bigger, but I've always resisted. Rather, I've gone for the minimum amount of weight I could do so that I was exhausting whatever muscle group I was training but have absolutely perfect form for every rep.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll set for myself the goal of breaking 195 before I get to Inferno in three weeks. Why maybe? Because this sort of goal setting doesn't work with me. In fact, it's downright counterproductive in a way, all but assuring that I will get beat down by initial failure and throw in the towel. But we'll see.

I'll admit that this was inspired in part by this amazing looking man with upper arms like tree trunks I saw at the gym. I could swear that we were maybekindasorta playing eye hockey, but I would never have the guts to approach him as my self-perception is 'tall skinny guy.' This could be chasing an unobtainable dream. Will this long-ingrained self perception ever change? Will I ever have the guts to go up to the likes of him and say, "Damn you're a hot man. Wanna grab something to eat after your workout?"

Maybe I'll drop by a music store tomorrow and buy the Man of La Mancha soundtrack on DVD to listen to while I lift.


No comments: