Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Latest Developments Here on the Home Front

I'm awash in steps. My step sister is here. Her son and daughter showed up, with her son's wife and new baby. Very tough on my step-nephew. He and my step-mother were born on the same day, just like me and my grandfather were. An odd bond, but a bond.

Interesting having a new baby in the midst of this. The beginning of life and the end of life. That kind of thing.

And another odd thing happend. My step-niece spent most of the day lying on the bed next to her grandmother, talking. My step-mother said things like she hopes my father marries again, because he's a wonderful man and deserves to be happy.

Huh. My step-mother has never talked to her daughter. Never talks about anything. But apparently feels fine opening up to her daughter's daughter.

Step-niece has also taken over a lot of the nursing duty that I've been on. I only had to change the diaper once today.

And here's another interesting event.

My Dad gets mail delivered to the post office down in the village of Point Pleasant. Every day, I drive down to get the mail. When I went down today, I found a little yellow slip of paper in the box indicating that there was a package. The window wasn't open until 1:30, so I had about fifteen minutes to kill. So, I walked over to what used to be a grocery store and is now a sort of ill-run sandwich shop to get an iced coffee. I walked up the stairs and there was this guy sitting on the porch. He... greeted me warmly. I went inside and got my iced coffee and he was still there when I came out.

There was that certain energy in the air. I lit a cigaret and chatted for a while. He's on vacation, camping on Bull's Island, up the river. He'd spent the day riding his bike up and down the canal towpath. He'd been down to New Hope and now was hoping to bike north to Milford. I explained what I was doing there, taking care of my ailing step-mother who was in her last days. He said that was rough, and pointedly said that if I needed a break from that, I could stop by for a beer.

He really said that. Stop by his tent for a beer. He also pointed out that even though he had gotten a little bit of a gut that he was tgrying to get rid of, he was still "pretty racked."

He had longish unkempt hair, a fu manchu, and a gut. He looked like one of the 'Before' guys on Queer Eye. Very before.

But still, would I be against ploughing this guy in his pup tent after a few beers? I most certainly would not.

Gotta think this through. Gotta figure out some way to get laid. When I have campers putting the make on me at the local sandwich shop, how hard could that be?

"Okay, Dad. Now that we've given the final doses of Oxycontin and Atavan out of the way, I'm headed out to a gay bar!"

Probably wouldn't go over well, huh?

We'll see.

Oh. More good news. In the final hours, it is likely that my step-mother will get highly agitated and be gasping for breath. When that time comes, there are a bunch of 'end-of-life' drugs that I'll need to give her. Via suppository.

The nurse explained how to give a suppository. I put a little lubricant on the capsule and on my finger, and push it in up to the knuckle. Then she said, "Oh darn, I don't think I have any lubricant that I can leave with you."

"Not a problem," I said, "I have something that will work."

So when the time comes, I'm going to be lubing up my finger with the fuckjuice stuff I buy at the Leatherman. When I bought it, I sure didn't have my step-mother's sphincter in mind.

Ah well.

More tomorrow.


No comments: