Friday, November 07, 2003

Apocalyptic Skies

Tomorrow, starting at 5:15 p.m. and continuing until at least 10 p.m., there will be a lunar eclipse. "And the moon became red as blood." That's pretty much it. In a solar eclipse, the moon obscures our view of the sun, and the sun is eclipsed. In a lunar eclipse, the earth comes between the moon and the sun, thus the moon (which is full), will be blotted out, and you'll be able to see the shadow of the earth passing across the face of the moon. And the moon turns red.

Very cool.

I remember a lunar eclipse when I was a boy. I stood in the field at the end of the garden with my father and watched it. It was kind of ho-humm to a kid. I was looking for something a lot more dramatic.

But I'm really looking forward to seeing the lunar eclipse tomorrow night. This summer, this magical time in my life, has been filled with signs and wonders in the skies. Mars has been my guiding light since June. Every time I see the night sky, I look for Mars. I saw Mars rise from the Christopher Street piers, Mars rode over my shoulder as I prowled the grounds at Inferno, I called upon Mars to bless me as I headed to Philadelphia to whip a man at the Bondage Club and I'll ask his blessing tonight when I go to hang with the various and sundry Tims at the Raven.

I think the lunar eclipse tomorrow will be something of a capstone. An epitome.


No comments: